Back to School, back to work

August 26, 2011 by

Photo inventory:

1 basket of clean laundry, unfolded and dumped on the living room floor

1 basket of clean laundry, folded and left on couch

2 “used” baby socks

2 brand-new shoes still bungee corded together

1 too-expensive rolling backpack

45 whole crayons; 3 broken

1 broken blue bead necklace (hanging from the couch cushion)

3 empty Target bags

and when I swivel away from the living space to look at the table:

Photo Inventory:

1 new lunchbox that is supposed to be used FOR SCHOOL ONLY

2 new BPA-free water bottles

1 water bottle ‘cozy’ that came with the lunchbox (completely unnecessary)

random leftover lunch stuff: sliced turkey meat, cut up apples, tortilla chips & hummus

1 abandoned laptop and 3 notebooks

1 very cheeky 19-month-old baby (helping herself to hummus)

106 new gray hairs

I mistakenly thought I could get some work done while the children played peacefully inside or frolicked in delight outside (isn’t that what children are supposed to do? Frolick?) . Yeah. I know.

delusional.

But you know what? This is real life. Not a glossy magazine. Stuff happens. Mistakes happen.

Life happens.

and it’s okay.

Give yourself a hug—- you’re doing a fantastic job. Already.

School begins for us on September 6th. I loved having everybody home with me for the summer, but I’m done.  How are things going with you?

Comments

9 Responses to “Back to School, back to work”

1. Etta on August 26th, 2011 12:42 pm

My only child is still happily growing in my uterus, so I haven’t experienced the disaster they can quickly create. I do have three small dogs, though. One of them thinks that I only put her dog toys in the basket so that she can knock the basket over and drag the toys all over the living room. It stays clean for approximately 30 seconds. :P

• Stephanie on August 26th, 2011 1:00 pm

Congratulations on your impending arrival!

and yes. happily tucked away in a uterus is most definitely the best-contained spot. :-0

2. Jaime on August 26th, 2011 1:32 pm

hmm….Is it a bad thing that my first response to that was OMG there’s a picture! My second response is, my kids start tues and I was excited, until a couple days ago when I realized summer is really over. I’m sure with the hurricane hitting us tomorrow, and being trapped inside all weekend, I’ll be more than happy to send them off to school on tues. tho.

I have recently felt like summer is when I have the most people over my house, and the time it is inevitably the messiest. I will be much calmer when my charts and calenders are up and running smoothly again.

3. sara on August 26th, 2011 2:28 pm

i am definatly looking forward to kids going back. Am hoping to do a good clean up on their first day

4. Erin on August 27th, 2011 11:20 am

You would feel better if you saw the photo I just took of my living room. We’ve been “enjoying” the “summer of the Perler Beads”. It’s a wonderful and creative craft, but inevitably the bucket gets tipped over at least once a day and my husband and I have spent many nights picking up and resorting the thousands of little plastic beads off the carpet!! Good times. :)

5. Christal on August 27th, 2011 9:24 pm

I’m with Jaime… saw a photo, and was excited about that… and I was not disappointed! it was perfect :) So… honest, real. Thank you. I, too, am planning on enjoying my kids for the next few days, and when they go to school, then I’ll clean. One of the best things I did this week was look beyond the laundry sitting on the couch, floors needing to be swept, emails to respond, and answered my boys’ request to play ball with them. It was wonderful.

6. Tami on September 9th, 2011 7:33 pm

Oh, I needed to see this tonight. I have 5 kids and we started school Tuesday, Sept. 6th. Since school started, our youngest has an ear infection, the oldest has been throwing up for 3 days and the 6 year old came home on Wed. afternoon throwing up (TG, it only lasted 1 afternoon.). And to add more insult to injury, I have a sinus infection. You should see my house. Can’t keep up with all the house work when the kids can’t go to school. Love that you are being so real and showing us your real house.

7. Katie @ NYCitified on September 11th, 2011 5:10 pm

Hahaha I love the picture of the cheeky 19 mo. old going for the hummus. So adorable, although I’m sure you didn’t find it as amusing at the time!

8. Tammy on September 12th, 2011 12:09 pm

At least the 19mo is going for hummus! Love the mess.