Patience is a Virtue

May 4, 2009 by

A hundred million years ago I ran preschool centers, and one of those centers was for homeless children at a live-in shelter. I was young at the time, but was fully cognitive of the impact daily interaction with a positive adult could have on the children in my care. During one of the circle time sessions I led, I passed around a very large abalone shell for the kids to look at and hold. The child farthest from the starting point wiggled and whined that he wanted his turn next. I remember holding out a finger and firmly saying “patience.” When questioned what the word meant, I simply responded “it’s a virtue.”

Throughout the rest of the time that this particular grouping of children was in my care, I often spoke out  “PATIENCE!” when the class was disruptive and the children chanted back, “IT’S A VIRTUE!” The kids had no idea what the words meant, but the act of repeating them in chorus was enough to break the train of activity and I could maneuver the class back on task.

I’ve tried to teach my own children this phrase, but I learned super-quick that it’s much easier to teach other people’s children than it is to teach your own. ;-)

My first book, Totally Together: Simplify Your Busy Household, Day by Day, will not be my first book. It looks like the Slow Cooking book will actually be released first.  The publisher has decided to hold on to it a bit longer to redesign some things, and position it better for sale. I don’t know when it will actually come out, but it looks like it probably won’t be until March of 2010. I am terribly sorry that this has happened, and am dreadfully sorry for those of you who have already ordered the book. I assume Amazon will be in touch.

Thank you for your love, support, and patience. It means so very much. xoxo steph

Comments

18 Responses to “Patience is a Virtue”

1. Mir on May 4th, 2009 12:39 pm

It’s still a virtue, and you have it in spades.

I’m sorry things are going a bit off-plan, but I’m sure it will still be awesome. :)

2. RLR on May 4th, 2009 12:43 pm

Aww, rats! I’ll still look forward to BOTH of them, but I SO need Totally Together right now. We just emptied out our kids’ rooms and closets, switched them around (adding a twin bed for my little girl), and I’m in the process of putting back ONLY what we need and some of what we love. Next comes the master suite, then my ‘project room’ (which used to be our dining room, but will hopefully become a sitting room). My short-term goal is to clear out the baby items, toys and children’s clothing with a garage sale in early June. I’ll add as much else as I can, but if I’m going to get my kids on board with the changes around here, I think it’s most important to begin where they can see and experience the difference. I LOVE how nice it feels to walk into their rooms now, and can’t wait for the rest of our home to feel that way! Until Totally Together comes out, I’ll just keep PROMing away, room by room – with the M being the hardest part! – and learn to add in the Daily Seven.
    Best to you!

3. EG on May 4th, 2009 2:31 pm

Bummer! Just keep chanting.

4. Jessica Moore on May 4th, 2009 3:12 pm

awww…Man! I’m totally bummed, but I’ll still need it in March 2010 too! : )
    I love that you were a preschool teacher! me too, for 6 years before quitting to stay home with my first little one.

5. Melissa Henning on May 4th, 2009 4:28 pm

No need to apologize (after all it’s not your fault!)! I don’t mind waiting one bit and I’m sure others wont mind waiting either.

I just wanted to say thank you for introducing the Daily 7 and PROM to us. As I said before, it seems like common sense, but it wasn’t for me! It really helps me daily now, and the stress level (for me, at least) has greatly reduced.

Can’t wait for your crockpot book! I still make salsa chicken (w/out the cream cheese) on a regular basis, and crockpot chicken taco stew–which I actually got from sparkpeople… I still think of you every time I make it though! lol

6. Jackie on May 4th, 2009 4:37 pm

Ok, so this is not really about the fact that your book is delayed – I am so sorry – but from reading this post I just discovered that “Totally Together” and ” A Year of Crock Potting” are from the same person!!!! Duh! I have read Crock Potting for a while, but just subscibed to this blog. Even if your “Together” book won’t hit the sales floor soon, you have to relaize how many lives you touch through your blogs (now that I know it’s plural!) You are an amazing mom, chef, writer and friend to all who read you. Thanks so much, and yes, we all have to be patient but in the meanwhile, we’ll keep reading and commenting.

7. gfe-gluten free easily on May 5th, 2009 6:23 am

Great post, Stephanie. Patience is a virtue indeed. Virtues can be hard to embrace. ;-) Just keep repeating the mantra like the kids did, and breathe deep. Spring 2010 will be here before we know it. By then, you may have tons of tons of readers here and even more eager buyers. :-) I’m sure it will all work out. The publishing industry is very complicated I think.

8. Jill on May 5th, 2009 8:26 am

Does this mean I don’t have to start organizing until 2010?! If so, awesome!!! LOL Just kidding!
    When do I get to buy your crock pot book? I love your writing and every time I see an email from your blog I get excited! I know it will be funny but also will have something for me to learn and attempt to implement in my life.
    Thanks for all you do for us, Steph!!

9. Leann I Am on May 5th, 2009 10:22 am

Well, I can’t say I wouldn’t love to have the book sooner, but this blog will have to get me by until then! The blog alone has been a huge help and inspiration. It seems like you are in my home every single day in one way or another. For example, we are having Taco Soup tonight. I am making sure to wipe down my bathrooms (ALMOST) daily, and am in the process of donating four large bags of clothes that make our closets easier to get into now.

For the first time in a long time, I don’t get that knot in my stomach when someone comes to the door unexpectedly. (That is, unless I’m not wearing a bra or something…then the knot is there anyway!)

Soooo…THANKS! :) I will wait patiently.

10. Mrs. Wright on May 5th, 2009 7:25 pm

Patience is a virtue, but not one I have unfortunately :( I’m bummed, but I’ll survive… I guess we’ll keep eating spaghettios with plastic forks in our too small clothing since everything else is dirty for another year, lol!

11. Jen on May 6th, 2009 5:37 pm

But I NEED your other book!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boo hoo!!!! I seriously just want to kick myself in the butt for really just not knowing how to take care of a house. I guess I thought it would be natural but my mom didnt train me or anything. Oh well. Thanks for all your hints Steph!!! keep em coming! Im getting ready to put my house on the market :( Eeeekkk…..eeeek…..ekeeeek

12. connie on May 7th, 2009 1:51 pm

I like the “ask and respond” attention getting technique. How cute. Our kids go to a school where they use a handclap method. The teacher will clap a beat, the kids repeat it. As the kids settle down, the teacher will add or change the beat. Sometimes adding hand gestures. Never saw this before, but I like it.

13. Roxanne on May 8th, 2009 11:37 am

I’m sorry Steph!! :-(

I’ve been a follower of your blogging adventures since last year. What a disappointment!

14. MommyAmy on May 20th, 2009 10:54 pm

Awww…. that must be such a bummer! Oh well, I was looking forward to your crock pot book more anyways. :P Maybe that publisher of yours is onto something. :)

15. Stephanie on May 4th, 2009 5:04 pm
    14.1

thank you, Mir. xoxo steph

16. Stephanie on May 4th, 2009 5:06 pm
    14.1

yup, RLR, the “M” is most definitely the hardest! it’s a daily awareness that keeps the order—-but the reward of the serenity of knowing “exactly” where the gloves are, the sunscreen, that it’s okay for last minute guests, etc. is worth it. :-)
    xoxo steph

17. Stephanie on May 4th, 2009 5:07 pm

LOL, Jackie, yup! Last year was one crazy year for me. :-) I’ve cut back a lot this year.
    xox steph

18. Stephanie on May 5th, 2009 10:46 am
    14.1

we had Taco Soup on Saturday, and finished the leftovers last night! LOVE LOVE LOVE taco soup. Thank you for being so wonderful, Leann.
    xoox steph