So This is December

December 1, 2009 by

I failed at National Novel Writing Month.

I’m okay with it.

I’m also okay with the word “failed.” I think many times people shy away from the word because it sounds harsh, and it’s much easier to make excuses than to own up to shortcomings. I had/have every excuse in the book: I’m tired, I’ve got too much work to do, the kids need me, I’ve got Thanksgiving to plan, Christmas to plan, the baby’s room needs painting and decorating, the garage needs a playroom makeover, I’ve got to Christmas shop now, I’m having contractions, it hurts my tail bone to sit, I’m helping at the school today, the kids are only this age once, I haven’t been a good friend to so and so and should really have her over for coffee, etc. and etc. again.

But it all boils down to conscious choice, and I consciously made the choice each and every time I decided to not sit down and write.

and I’m okay with it.

The fantastic news is that we’re now completely ready for this baby, and that feels wonderful. I’ve got about 4 weeks to go, and the room is painted and done, the garage is set up as a play space with the toy kitchen and a separate art area, and the Christmas lights are up. The shopping is practically done, including gift wrap and stocking stuff, and I never left the house to do it. I LOVE THE INTERNET.

I’ve also caught up on way too many hours of The Baby Story, and am weighing the cord blood thing. I didn’t do it with the other girls, and since this will probably be the last baby, maybe I should just go for it. But it’s expensive.

I’m excited about the upcoming New Year. I’m looking forward to exercising again, and getting my brain cells back (boy I hope they come back…). I’m also looking forward to wine and coffee (that’s okay to say out loud, right?) I’ve got a few writing projects lined up, and I’ve got to figure out what to do with this site, since I totally suck at keeping it updated. :-)

I’ve got a guest post lined up in the next few days from a reader who is also nutritionist, so if you have any questions about nutrition, get them ready.

have an absolutely wonderful day.

Comments

9 Responses to “So This is December”

1. Brenda on December 1st, 2009 3:49 pm

Stephanie, I so appreciate how honest you are. You easily could have just said that you did the writing, or something like that. Instead, you continue to surprise me with just how “real” you are. So many people pretend to be something that they aren’t.

• Stephanie on December 1st, 2009 4:52 pm

aw, thanks Brenda. xoxo

2. Linda on December 1st, 2009 4:29 pm

great post. I feel like a slacker as I have nothing done for the holiday and don’t even have a baby as a possible reason why not. Anyway, I wanted to pass along that I thing I looked into and was going to do was to donate my baby’s cord blood. He was 4+ weeks early so we were not set up yet, but it is a great opportunity to help out. we went online and in our area it was coordinated by someone at local Red Cross. This is a pretty great option to do something, without really any effort if you decide not to bank. Just an idea. Good Luck!

• Stephanie on December 1st, 2009 4:52 pm
      2.1

You’re not a slacker! That’s a great idea—I’ll look into it. Thanks, Linda! xoxo

3. Cathie on December 1st, 2009 7:48 pm

:) Don’t feel bad about NaNoWriMo…I got to about 5k words when my laptop crashed. Hard drive completely fried, literally. So I tucked my story under the rug since I’d lost it all, and realized I didn’t care much for the story anyway. There’s always next year!

4. Melissa (Betty and Boo's Mommy) on December 1st, 2009 7:51 pm

From one “failure” to another (which I don’t believe neither of us are, BTW), here’s to not finishing NaNo.

Just bought my mom your cookbook for Xmas. It is the only thing she wanted. :)

5. Melynda on December 2nd, 2009 7:48 am

The Nov challenge is a big project. My Son also “failed”, but at least the two of you took the challenge! I had heard of it last year when you spoke of it on your blog. I was not ready then or this year. But I have been writing in the evenings when my Honey works the late shift. So who knows maybe next year……

6. Amy on December 2nd, 2009 10:43 am

No problems with being a slacker…

For the nutritionist – please please please talk about toddler nutrition. My stinker (1 year old) will so far eat everything that we give him – are we giving him the right things? & He does not “tell” us when he is full – so how much should we be giving him?

7. Maryann on December 2nd, 2009 2:15 pm

Amy,

My name is Maryann and I’m the dietitian Stephanie is talking about. My post will be on mom’s health but I have tons of information about kids eating on my site http://www.RaiseHealthyEaters.com. This link provides general nutrition information for 1-year olds http://www.raisehealthyeaters.com/feeding-toddlers-12-to-24-months/ Provide your little guy with frequent meals and snacks (at the table) and let him eat as much as he wants. You can usually tell when toddlers have had enough — they get destracted easily and start playing with their food. Avoid the all-day grazing so they go to meals hungry enough to eat well. Planned snacks help to get them to the next meal without having a meltdown. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Maryann