Super Soft Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

September 10, 2009 by

You know those super soft bakery cookies they sell in the supermarket that are covered in frosting? The orange ones come out for Halloween, and the pink for Valentine’s Day. I wanted them. I needed them. But they had to be gluten free, and the only sugar cookies I’ve made gluten free sort of resembled (and tasted) like hockey pucks. These cookies don’t. I put in tons of butter, but baked them at a pretty high heat to keep the cookies from spreading all over the place. We all absolutely loved them, and these will now be my new go-to cookie when I need to make something to bring to the PTA bake sales that we can eat.

Yup. I bake and then buy my own baked goods. Other people do that, too, right?

The Ingredients.

IMG_6733_edit

3 cups gluten free flour mix (I used Pamela’s Baking Mix)

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 cup room temperature butter

1 cup white sugar

3 room temperature eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

parchment paper

The Directions.

Sift flour mixture with baking powder, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Set aside.  In a separate bowl, mix together on a low speed with a hand or stand mixer the butter, eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Slowly add in the flour mixture until evenly incorporated.  Refrigerate the dough for about an hour, or until it is easy to handle. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Roll small balls of dough, and place onto cookie sheet, giving ample room for spreading. I was only able to get about 6 on some of my cookie sheets. With your finger, depress each dough ball a bit in the very center. This will help the edges to stay fluffy, and not just the middle of the cookie.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, or until the very tops of the cookies have begun to turn golden. Remove from oven, and slide the entire sheet of parchment onto the kitchen counter to let the cookies fully set. When cool, frost with your favorite frosting and add sprinkles, if desired.

The Verdict.

These are very soft cookies—the softest gluten free cookies I’ve ever been able to achieve. I overcooked the first batch (10 minutes was too long, oops!) and even the burnt ones retained their soft chew. I haven’t tried to roll them out to make shapes, but my gut feeling is that it won’t work. It’s super tricky to roll out GF dough, and since there’s so much butter in here, I think the shapes would melt into a blob. Although I haven’t tried it, I think the dough would freeze quite nicely. I’d guess you could get 3 dozen out of a batch, maybe more, depending on cookie size and how much dough you eat.

ps: I’m so sorry that the site has been acting wonky and those who visit through a reader were getting multiple posts. The site was apparently hacked, but Jennette is working on it, and that shouldn’t happen anymore.  The comment section still looks a bit funky, but we’ll figure it out. Thanks so much for your patience.

Comments

18 Responses to “Super Soft Gluten Free Sugar Cookies”

1. Gina on September 10th, 2009 2:20 pm

I’ll have to give this a try, I was just jonesing for sugar cookies when the RSS feed sent your post!

I have had very good results with a rolled and cut GF cookie using the Wilton recipe and Tom Sawyer Gluten Free flour cup for cup (I’m also allergic to potatoes and corn, so I can’t use Pamela’s). I chill the pans with the uncooked cookies on them for a few minutes in the freezer, it seems to keep the spreading to a minimum. We made the Wilton star Christmas tree last year, it was great. Until the dog ate the rest of it…he enjoyed it though! They aren’t soft and chewy, but do have a decent give, very much like the regular kind.

• Stephanie on September 10th, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks, Gina, for letting me know about these! I’ll give them a whirl.
      –steph

2. auntjone on September 10th, 2009 2:21 pm

We’re a gluten-eating household… or non-gluten-free…I’m not sure what the proper term is! Would regular flour work? I’m willing to give it a whirl even if you’re not sure. Thanks for sharing!

• Stephanie on September 10th, 2009 8:44 pm
      2.1

Hi Aunt Jone,
      I adapted this recipe from a traditional full-of-gluten one, so using regular all purpose flour will work just fine.
      –steph

• auntjone on September 14th, 2009 11:31 am

Sweet! No pun intended…thanks!

3. Cinde on September 10th, 2009 4:13 pm

These sound super-yummy Steph! Thanks for the recipe.

Cheers,
    Cinde :)

Gluten Free Taste of Home:

The Freebie Fairy (giveaways & product reviews!):

Contributor ~ Delight Gluten Free Magazine

4. gfe--gluten free easily on September 10th, 2009 7:33 pm

Those look great, Steph! Bet the kids loved them, too. ;-) And, why yes, I do make gluten-free goodies for bake sales and buy them back! Even though my “child” is now 21, I still participate in community events and end up doing that. LOL

I’m having my own sort of sugar cookie “fix” tonight … I made Snickerdoodle ice cream again. Yum!

Thanks!

5. Alli on September 10th, 2009 8:18 pm

I totally bake sale like that. On bad days, I just donate what I would have been willing to pay plus the ingredient costs, but, since baking is cheaper than therapy and children must be fed, I usually bake, buy and fork it over to the wee ones. Zucchini bread season is upon us (and fritter, and pancake, and, oddly, zucchini cookie season too)

6. Christa on September 10th, 2009 8:44 pm

I just want to say THANK YOU!! I am Gluten Free and your recipes ROCK!!

7. Liz on September 10th, 2009 10:23 pm

I’ve had pretty good luck with way smooshy cookie dough using a metal cookie cutter for the shapes. Instead of cutting it out before hand, I just put the cutter on the pan and put a glob of dough in the middle. Then I cook the cookies with the cutter still on the pan. As the dough spreads and cooks, it stays in the shape of the cutter. When they’re done, I just pull off the cutter. Obviously not very practical for a large batch of cookies, but my kids love it for the small batches we do in the toaster oven where I only need a few shaped cookies to satisfy them. These cookies look way yummy, I’m thinking about giving them a try. Thanks for the recipe!

8. Gina on September 22nd, 2009 12:06 am

Stephanie, I had to report back: I love this recipe. I used the Tom Sawyer Gluten Free flour, and instead of frosting, I made balls of dough and coated the tops with colored sugar before baking. I experimented with chilling in the freezer vs. not, and found that chilling made them really high. Like little mountains, but very good texture. Not chilling had them spread a little more like regular thick cookies. The sugar spread out nicely, and the cookies tasted great. I fooled around with some of the super poofy ones by adding some jam. Just baked them, and when finished (and still hot) took a small spoon and squished an indent in the center, which then got a small dollop of jam. OM NOM NOM!

I also made some dough ahead and put in plastic wrap to freeze. It thawed nicely, and the cookies baked up with no difference from freshly mixed. Great recipe, I plan to make batches of dough to store in the freezer for cookie emergencies. Thanks for posting this :-)

9. meg on October 20th, 2009 2:35 pm

These look good. Mmmm.
    I’ve had great luck with a GF recipe for sugar cookies from Kraft. The only big difference: it has cream cheese. I chill the dough and roll it out between two layers of wax paper. I think the wax paper method might work foryour dough because I’ve also made it work for adapted GF gingerbread cookies and adapted GF chocolate cookies (both recipes where I used rice flour instead of all-purpose).
    Thanks for all you do.

10. Jen on October 26th, 2009 1:10 pm

I love that you buy your own bake sale donation! I will be doing that since we have to do dairy/egg free baked goods. Your cookies look great.

11. Diane Lorenz on November 29th, 2009 11:14 pm

Thanks for sharing the recipies especially the gluten free sugar cookies. I have celiac as my son and granddaughter. Appreciate the new ones and will try them during the holidays.

12. Eileen Curley on December 16th, 2009 6:33 pm

The recipe sounds delicious and I’m always looking for sweets. I yearn for regular cupcakes, etc. but I will remain gluten-free no matter what. I have most of the ingredients and will pick up what I need and do some additional baking. I spend almost 1 whole day on the weekend baking my own bread, making muffins,etc.

I’m not creative with my meals so I could use some helpful hints if anyone wishes to respond.
    Thanks for the recipe Stephanie!

13. Grace on May 27th, 2010 11:18 pm

I love you, Stephanie! I might be able to keep my son happy with all your great GF recipes! Now if he will only TRY them… :) He decided a long time ago that GF stinks, and since he was diagnosed at 18 months and is now 10, I don’t blame him.

14. Sharon on November 24th, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! I did modify it however. I used 4 cups of Pamela’s baking mix gluten free flour, 1 tsp of baking soda,1 tsp of baking powder, and only 3/4 cup of salted butter. And I added chocolate chips and baked them for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. They turned out yummy! I’m hoping they will keep in an airtight container because I’m trying to get a head start for this Thursday’s thanksgiving baking. Blessings!

15. Jess on January 9th, 2014 4:46 am

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! I opted to use GF Bisquick and they turned out amazing. Better than any I ever had with gluten.