thank goodness it’s friday.

November 5, 2010 by

You know how everything is supposed to work out the way it’s supposed to work out but you don’t always know how it’s going to work out until it’s all worked out later?

so. I woke up yesterday with a pretty bad toothache. My teeth have been hurting on and off for the past three weeks—I had some dental work done during the summer, and the two teeth worked on are the ones that are bugging me. I’ve tried different things to help the pain go away—I’ve switched to sensitive toothpaste, bought a mouthguard in case I was grinding my teeth, and have taken large doses of Advil.

The Advil is the only thing that works.

so. When Adam called around 9am to check in and said it looks like we can all go with him on a work-related trip in the next week, I asked if he’d come home early so I could go to the dentist. fine. all good.

so. The dentist appt was only 20 minutes because it looks like I need a root canal (or two. ugh. but the good news is that I get to try valium for the first time, which I’m kind of looking forward to. is that bad?) and need to come back later. I got a prescription for antibiotics (it looks like I also have a sinus infection along with the inflamed nerves, which was discovered during the xrays, and the reason I didn’t notice was because of the LARGE quantities of Advil I’m consuming. note to self: buy stock in Advil.) and called home to see if I should go get the prescription or come home.

It was decided I’d come home and grab a kid or two.

so. I get home, become sidetracked (because hello that’s who I am) and realize OH MY wehavesoccerrightthisveryminute and get cleats and the needed accoutrement and head towards the door. But. I see a bee.

and then another.

and another.

and another.

they’re coming out of the fireplace. The kids are now screaming and the baby is crying. Adam shoves us out the door and we go to soccer.

and he fixes it (seals fireplace with plastic,  calls exterminator, and uses the Lands End catalog to kill the ones in the house). because he’s home. and he’s only home because I had a dental appt., and only because we’re going away, and OH MY if the bees decided to come out while we were away, we would have come home to a HOUSE FULL OF BEES.

so there you go.

life is weird.

Today:

daily 7

(me: go to the pharmacy, pack stuff for 4 people, and the stuff the 5th person ALWAYS forgets, but that’s okay because he just saved us from a hive full of bees, sign up for independent study for the kids so the school still gets state $$, wait for the exterminator guy)

buy more Advil

breathe

Comments

14 Responses to “thank goodness it’s friday.”

1. Shirley @ gfe on November 5th, 2010 5:35 am

Wow, Steph, the bee thing is weird. One of my girlfriends had bats coming into her house recently though. I think bees would be preferable, but that’s a hard call. Since we keep honeybees, I might just be biased on that decision. I’m wondering if you have bees as in honeybees, or wasps. Again bees are preferable, but don’t really want either in the house.

Big bummer on the the dental issues and sinus infection. Valium and Advil would both be helpful. I can see why folks were hooked on Valium some time ago, so even bees might not rattle you when taking Valium. ;-)

Hope you have a wonderful trip and stay pain free until you return! Heading off on a trip ourselves this morning after the first, intended day of our vacation was spent buying a new car instead, and unexpectedly. Well, I guess it was actually expected, but not so quickly. My mechanic had told us that my old car was terminal last week, but he said it could survive for weeks or months. It survived less than one week. We just didn’t expect the end to be so near …

xo,

• Stephanie on November 5th, 2010 7:07 am

Good morning Shirley! welcome home!
      I was thinking about you and the bees. I think these are wasps? We call them yellow jackets. They swarm when we’re camping and bbqing—they seem drawn to meat.

I think I’m only getting a total of 2 valium pills, and they are for the day of the dental work. This dentist doesn’t have nitrous (which I so enjoy), but our insurance carries him, so that’s where the valium comes in. ;-)

xoxo

2. Jennifer H on November 5th, 2010 6:58 am

Wow, sounds like you had your hands full! Good luck with your root canals, and I hope you enjoy your trip. Sometimes, the only thing you can do is just take a step back and “Breathe”!

3. sue on November 5th, 2010 7:00 am

My husband once complained about the money spent on an exterminator for the bee problem we had. I gave him a withering stare and told him it was the smartest money he’d ever spent because he would not want to live with me with bees in the house ;-)
    Good luck with the trip and the dental work.
    -sue

• Stephanie on November 5th, 2010 7:05 am
      3.1

I agree with the money well-spent! I don’t know yet what this will cost, but will share that Adam’s first idea was to put on a long sleeve shirt and go on the roof with a golf club and a can of spray..
      I told him that sounded a bit too National Lampoonish for me..!
      oxox

4. jennibell on November 5th, 2010 7:11 am

Sounds like most of my days :) Yep, you just have to keep moving forward and know that everything has a reason. . .and it’s great that you didn’t have to deal with the bees and kids all.by.yourself. Glad you can get away next week. . .sounds like a Good Thing. Happy weekend!

5. Holly on November 5th, 2010 8:01 am

LOL! This is one of your better rants, ahem – POSTS, Stephanie. But what I really want to know is, did you get the the pharmacy to pick up your VALIUM!?! :-D

6. EG on November 5th, 2010 8:17 am

I love my husband. But if bees started flying out of our fireplace he would crush me and the kids to get out of the way. He does not like stinging insects.

Good story, though!

7. hannah m on November 6th, 2010 7:08 am

We had the same problem with bees coming in our fireplace a couple of years ago. We called this guy and he helped us get rid of them over the phone by telling me how to seal up the fireplace (mothballs, plastic bags, cotton balls!). I found him really helpful. The bees never came back, so we never needed him to come to the house – but he had talked about something he could install on the top of the chimney to prevent this from happening again. Good luck!

• Stephanie on November 6th, 2010 7:16 am
      7.1

Hi Hannah–
      this is really helpful, thank you!
      great.

8. christal on November 6th, 2010 8:17 pm

ummm… just a note on the root canal thing… and it seems like you’re in good hands and have had it checked out before and all… but here’s just a small side note for what it’s worth… I once had a dentist tell me I needed a couple of root canals on teeth that were bothering me greatly, and what I did indeed have was a sinus infection. The sinus cavity was inflamed and touching the roots of the teeth in question, hence the pain. Once I got the antibiotics and the sinus infection gone, no longer needed the root canals. Also got a new dentist.
    Hope the bee thing is working itself out… hugs to you all…

• Stephanie on November 7th, 2010 6:30 am
      8.1

Hi Christal,

I’m wondering about that too. I’m on day 2 of a z-pack, and definitely feeling better. I’m going to hold off on making the appt for a week or two to see what happens. I also have a refill for the z-pack, just in case. ;-)
      I’m definitely wondering if you’re right—-it makes a lot of sense.

9. Vicki on December 1st, 2010 4:00 am

I’m probably too late, but I wish I could discourge you from getting root canals. I had mine removed. They are full of mercury and cause all kinds of symptoms that you wouldn’t even realize they’re coming from the mercury.

I am a naturalist and don’t take OTC drugs or prescriptions. There are several spices and minerals that take away pain. I had 16 teeth pulled and did not need any pain killers. The pain was surprisingly minimal. Advil will destroy your liver. Please stop taking it. I’m not preaching my beliefs. I am really concerned about your health. I love your year-long crockpot recipes….vicki

• Stephanie on December 2nd, 2010 6:54 am
      9.1

Hi Vicki,

no, not too late. I’m still floundering around. ;-) I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know this info—-I’ll check it out, thanks!
      oxox